[Advaita-l] GITA - 2.22

Ram Garib garib_ram at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jan 27 13:36:38 CST 2006

I have a doubt and request clarification.

--- Amuthan <aparyap at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> kR^iShNa again teaches the immutability of the self
> by
> means of an analogy,
>
> vAsAMsi jIrNAni yathA vihAya
> navAni gR^ihNAti naro.aparANi.
> tathA sharIrANi vihAya jIrNAni
> anyAni saMyAti navAni dehI.. 2.22
>
> just as a man wears new clothes after discarding old
> ones, so also, this self, after casting off an old
> body, attains new ones.
>
> the meaning is self evident.

Here gItAchArya uses the word "dehI" instead of
"AtmA". Is this use intentional or un-intentional?
Reason for my doubt is this - If self is said to be
changeless without any vikaara, how can it
re-incarnate? "dehI" here would fit more aptly with
sukshma sharira or karana sharira rather than the
usual meaning of "self".

However, the usual meaning would be perfectly
consistent with previous "na jaayate mriyate.." verse.

With regards,
Ram Garib