[Advaita-l] Effects of incorrect Mantra Pronunciation

Krunal Makwana krunalmakwana at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 07:21:28 CST 2006

namo nArAyan

Dear Santoshbhai,

It is correct that by chanting a mantra incorrectly can lead to adverse
effects. This is why vedic suktams and etc were not available to anyone and
everyone. The verses were passed down from generation to generation from
GUrU to adhIkAri SISya. The knowldge of the Veda is and should be imparted
on the masses of people but at the same time to keep the authenticity of the
Vedas, the vedas have to be kept safe from people who try and abuse it. For
this reason Veda vyAsji mAhArAj gave the world the pUrAnas and ItIhAs for
everyone to read.

If i am not mistaken while a pupil is learning sanskrit, he comes across
vedANga, the six limbs of the Vedas, namely:

sikSa
vyAkarana
nirUkta
chhanda
kalpa
jyotiSa

According to mundaka upaniSad these have to be studied by a student of
vedas. Even mistakes may take place not just on the pronunciation but also
on the beat of the mantras (chhanda) and etc which would still lead to an
adverse effect.

All of the above have to be given high regard when chanting Vedic mantras
especially. I may be wrong here and the members may correct me, but once
when i was at an ashram and discussing vedic mantras' i was told that if the
pronunciation or other aspects of chanting were incorrect than you commit
the sin of killing a cow due to the mistake commited in chanting. I
personally have not found a citation of that but if the members could
enlightment me if that is correct or not.

My opinion and i stress this is my opinions, is that if mistakes are made in
reading stotras, pUrAnas, ItIhAs or other smR^iti texts that is fine BUT
mistakes should not be made while chanting Vedic suktams or what have you.

I hope this clarifies things for you, if i have said anything that goes
against the grain i hope the learned members will enlighten me as to where i
went wrong and shower the true meaning. After all, life is a big learning
process.

Warm regards,

Krunal