[Advaita-l] avadhUta GItA

Ram Garib garib_ram at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jan 15 11:47:10 CST 2006

--- Guy Werlings <werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I have on my bookshelves several English
> translations and two French
> translations of the AvadhUta GItA, but nowhere in
> the text could I find this
> "story".

I have a translation by Hari Prasad Shastri. Ch.2.
V.29 reads:
"The teacher cannot teach Atman; the disciple cannot
learn it." Is this what you are referring to?

> I am aware that such an assertion as:  "There is no
> teacher, no teaching and
> no one taught." seems highly iconoclastic,
> provocative and antitraditional,..

Assertions that "there is no teacher, no teaching and
no one taught" are neither iconoclastic nor
provocative nor anti-traditional. They are just a
different view point on the same reality. Ramana says
that creation has been explained in scriptures in
three steps:

1) God created creation.
2) God and creation simultaneously arise.
3) There is neither any God nor any creation.

The third step of ajativada is only for realized
saints and has been upheld by gaudapada. Teachings of
avadhuta gita are consistent with this last step.

With regards,
Ram Garib