kAmya karmas (was Re: [Advaita-l] Animal sacrifice)

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Thu Jan 12 20:09:54 CST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> I was only replying to Sri Sanjays observation that kaamya karmas
> *intrinsically create bondage*. The point is they do NOT. The
> intention of the kartaa is what matters. This is a big difference from
> the bhedaabheda schools, and even some advaitins like maNDana mishra.

Actually, Kumarila Bhatta also, in the shloka-vArtika, seems to hold the
position that desire-based action is forbidden for seekers of moksha:
moxArthI na pravarteta tatra kAmyakarma nishhiddhayoH.  His commentator
Parthasarathi Misra quotes the Bhagavad Gita in his explanation of the
remark.  This is somewhat at odds with the "classical" mImAMsA perspective
that nitya-karma such as sandhyA is useless, i.e., brings no specific new
reward (though failure to perform it brings harm), whilst kAmya-karma such
as the jyotishhToma or putreshhTi is what brings all purushhArtha-s
including wealth, sons, svarga, moksha, etc., vide `jyotishhTomena
svargakAmo yajeta', `putrakAmo putreshhTyA yajeta', etc.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao