[Advaita-l] Budha & Advaita

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 16:16:59 CST 2006

I'm sorry for the mistake of my previous posting on the Buddha. I did not mean
to imply that Buddhism was in any way close to VedAnta. The opposite is in fact
true - Buddhism and VedAnta are poles apart doctrinally. Just one example:
VedAnta accepts the Vedas as svataH-pramANa whereas Buddhism does not even have
a svataH-pramANa!

This list is mainly catering to better understanding of the advaitic principles
as laid down by traditional Acharya Shankara. Discussion of Buddhist teachings
with the idea of establishing any overt or covert relationship between the
advaitic principles and other principles such as 'Buddhistic' principles
dilutes the purpose and clarity of thought meant for the seekers of advaitic
thought. If there is a doubt such as in this context, it is best to take
recourse to established traditional teachers of the current day for further
clarification.

Therefore, in the light of the above, it is absolutely not neccesary for the
list to spend further interest in this as it would amount to a dilution of the
purpose of this list which is distinctly different from Buddhistic principles.

Work for the Employer with the best benefits! Work for God!