[Advaita-l] Re: Question: Swadharma

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Feb 13 08:10:05 CST 2006

Amuthan <aparyap at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>> i have a request. will it be possible to shift this
>> entire discussion to some mailing list on indian
>> culture or social structure of india? since there is
>> no single and common ground based on which arguments
>> can be made,

As far as we are concerned, the common ground is Advaita Vedanta and
Smarta tradition.

>> different people start off with
>> different
>> assumptions and keep arguing endlessly.

This just means we have to keep it factual and not assume.

Ram Garib wrote:

> I did not have any intention of turning this forum
> into a debate platform for caste issues. However, I
> got such valuable perspectives on this issue from the
> learned members on this board that I could not resist
> my temptation to dig deeper.
>
> I apologize if my persistence led to deviation from
> the list scope.

I for one think this subject is squarely within the scope of this list.
To practice Vedanta 100%, one must take sannyasa.  As most of us are not,
it is of utmost importance for us to know and practice our dharma and in
order to do this we must know what dharma is.  Often it is the "corner
cases" that can provide the most illumination on a subject.  I thank Ramji
for providing a perspective that normally we might not think about.

Unfortunately I got very busy just as things were getting interesting but
I shall write more in a little while.