[Advaita-l] Re: Question: Swadharma

Ram Garib garib_ram at yahoo.co.in
Sun Feb 5 08:49:10 CST 2006

Sanjay Srivastava <sksrivastava68 at gmail.com> wrote:I am not
advocating perpetuation of *all* traditions, yet it seems to me that
the solution must come from this route only if it has to be effective.
If replacing rama with buddha has not worked earlier, how can we
conclude that a complete break off with traditions will work now?

I am not suggesting a complete break off with traditions; nor the perpetuation of all traditions. I think only those traditions need be emphasized, which we can relate to. This stand necessrily involves subjective discretion in regard to dharma, which has been vehemently denied by Sri Chandrashekharendra Saraswati in "Hindu Dharma". However, I do not see how it can be otherwise. Take for example rules of manu. No self-respecting non-dvija can ever relate to those rules. I understand that no one today is insisting for imposition of those rules, but the sanction of them by a religious scripture attacks at the very core of ones value as a human being. As a non-dvija, it makes you feel worthless as a human being. Therefore identifying those traditions which we can relate to, should be the first step in defining dharma.

With regards,
Ram Garib