[Advaita-l] 'End' not 'Means'

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 16:07:10 CDT 2006

> Do you see the qualititative difference between "brahman exists" and
> "women should not read the vedas"? the difference is that the first is
> not falsifiable but the second is. No two ways about it. by specifying
> the exact experiment, you yourself have proved that the second
> statement is falsifiable.

As far as proving their falsifiability is concerned, there is no qualitative
difference between the two. Effect of women reading veda-s cannot be
measured at all.

Can we measure whether by reading veda-s women earn merit or demerit?
Can we measure whether women reading veda-s results in their spiritual
upliftment or decline?
Can we measure whether women reading veda-s has a good or bad effect in
their subsequent births?

At the most we can measure some physical effects of reading veda-s in this
life. We cannot measure non-physical effects in this life and we cannot
measure any effects in subsequent lives. We have only shruti to answer this
question. The only choice is to either accept it or reject it.

Shruti is supreme in matters of dharma and moksha exactly because their is
no way to either prove or disprove such issues. You can only accept shruti's
authority on axiomatic basis -- if you wish.

praNAm