[Advaita-l] Re: 'End' not 'Means'

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 01:31:09 CDT 2006

While I can well appreciate the cautionary note about concentrating on the
end, let me clarify a couple of points.

There are many ways in which one can prepare oneself for the advaita end. Of
these, jnAna yoga is a primary one. Each human being prepares for jnAna by
his or her own personal abilities. The flexibility and beauty of a mailing
list is that members can choose what discussions to follow and what to
ignore. Expressing one's opinion should be accompanied by a respect for the
right of others to express their opinions. If something or somebody becomes
too opinionanated, we can always ignore that and concentrate on topics that
appeal to us.

Belief in a philosophy is well and good, but what one human being chooses to
believe may look like bunkum to another. It is not for nothing that Sankara
wrote detailed commentaries with a great deal of logical argumentation. He
could have contented himself with writing beautiful poetry on advaita
experience, or better still, by keeping completely silent. There is a place
for each of these approaches, and each of us is free to strike a personally
comfortable balance. This balance itself will evolve with time as each of us
matures.

Looking into oneself for answers is not always beneficial, especially if
that inner self is not prepared by intense sAdhana. Otherwise, what my mind
tells me is nothing more than an opinion; it does not and should not take
the place of fact or  That is why there is Sruti, the associated tradition,
and that is why there is a need for a guru. In this context, I would also
caution members, especially new ones, not to consider this list as a
substitute for these, but rather to only treat it as a supplement.

Regards,
Vidyasankar