[Advaita-l] Re: source of mAyA?

Ger Koekkoek gerkoekkoek at wanadoo.nl
Fri Apr 7 12:22:15 CDT 2006

A response to the answer of Aditya Varun Chadha on 1-4-2006:
"It is only through Maya that we reach the beyond-Maya. There is no shortcut
to the process."
Indeed.
We have to study  the mystery that is in the heart of everything, and when
we really come into this heart then it seems that it is this mystery itself
that let you go. We don't do that. In a way everybody is busy with this
process, undergoing and trying to understand good and bad, luck and
suffering, knowledge and the experience of having questions. In a way you
could even say that there is no other action going on in the world!
And indeed Maya is never becoming lesser.
When you are asleep you can dream about beautiful landscapes or ugly
monsters, but waking up and realizing that it all was a dream does not make
those dreams a lesser dream in themselves. You recognize them as a dream,
that is only difference.

"The mind is an indispensable tool in reaching the end of the cliff."
Exactly, without this, the idea of Maya can become self-destructive, can
become very dangerous. And reaching the end of the cliff you can slowly
learn to watch and to listen to the mystery, and to think about it without
any preoccupied meaning.

After I got a glimpse of the Supreme Truth (as I wrote in my introduction)
there was a reaction in two directions: In one way I wanted to turn inwards,
directly to the heart, but at the other hand my mind did not become quiet,
but very much awake in a panoramic stream of thoughts and views. In the
first direction I learned to be very patient. I can do this only for a
quarter of an hour and this never became any longer during the years. But
sometimes the result of it is very subtle, and sometimes even overwhelming.
In the panoramic direction I studied a lot of ways of thinking, and talked
and listened to many people, and watched the coming and going of thoughts
and desires in my own mind, I watched the way they wanted to be out of
themselves.
Perhaps you could say that I am walking (sometimes) closely around the end
of the cliff, but I am not sitting on itself yet, oh no.

And indeed, philosophy can lead us astray (and perhaps all kinds of corners
in our mind needs different types of philosophy), but during this process
your mind becomes more and more capable of observing and thinking without
being completely ruled by any meaning, and that's no end but a beginning.
Perhaps this is the crossroad where science and Jnana Yoga can meet each
other, and that would be great, that could be the centre of a new world-wide
culture, but at the moment this is still very far away.

This is a point I am still wondering about, if I may ask:
I got this glimpse when I was 17 years old. After that I simply KNEW, for
sure, that liberation exists. But before that I never was interested in such
a matter, nor my family in a wide range around me, nor the society of the
small industrial town in which a was growing up. I did not even knew that
matters like philosophy and meditation existed!
I am, after 35 years, still not really used to this all, but this "being
sure" always stayed clear and never changed.
And why there was no doubt about this? It is not an experience or a vision,
it is not an inspirited idea, it is what I am. It is what everything is. And
this I recognized in Jnana Yoga and Advaita, and in this sharp way any sense
of this never existed in the western culture.
Could anyone please react on this, for instance also about the relation
between the seventh chakra and the heart, and about what exactly happened to
me (see my introduction), for instance about a difference between a short
flash in the seventh chakra, and the completely opening of it, and about
going beyond it according to this two possibilities.
I see only one reason why this truth came into me: I saw the whole of the
world as an illusion, soon dying, as I believed, in a atom bomb, without,
and this is important, hating it.

During the years I always had the following idea as a kind of Mantra or, as
I would say, resting point when my situation or my own mood took me very far
away from this matter:
"What is is pure happiness, without source and timeless.
 And the world is an ambiguous shadow over this:
 It hides the truth, but is also the chance to find it back."

I apologize for this mail did become a bit too long.

With greetings,
Ger