[Advaita-l] Re: source of mAyA?

Ger Koekkoek gerkoekkoek at wanadoo.nl
Sat Apr 1 08:09:19 CST 2006

A greet to all who will read this,

Perhaps thinking about Maya has the goal to sea as sharp as possible that,
when it comes to the heart of the matter, to 'what is', the mind has to
become silent for the mind itself creates duality, the duality between your
way of thinking and its object. Thinking about Maya, which is an
ununderstandable mystery, can clear up and empty a lot of subtle corners in
your mind that otherwise would stay active in the background, and thereby
would create subtle but hard borders in your consciousness. The more the
mind is open for the mystery and is only in an alert and listening mood, the
easier it will be to turn your attention inwards to its own source.
It can be very helpful to realize that also Gods, or God, and also heaven
are still existing in Maya.
In that way we can realize that that Gods and heaven exits like trees and
mountains exits, which I think is very important for de world and society,
for the harmony of it, and at the same time go even beyond God and heaven,
seeking for the Supreme Truth when you have the capacity to do so.
And this possibility, as far as I know, exists only in the Indian
philosophy, in the subtle, beyond there selves pointing ideas around Maya.
In the medieval scholastic  philosophy of Christianity they also had the
goal to come as sharp as possible to the mystery in the heart of everything,
but once you were there you supposed to find the bible and the almighty God.
The creator God always stayed bigger as the mystical melting together with
your own heart, and thereby the western holy men never came to that complete
enlightment that a few of your saints retrieved.
Therefore, to think about Maya can be very important, but at a certain point
you have to be alert for the mistake that this thinking in itself creates
its own never ending circle. That is one of the dreams with which Maya can
hold you asleep.
I hope in India you will keep this tradition alive in a proper way. In the
west it is very difficult to overcome some romantic illusions about India,
or people think far to quick they understand all of it and become arrogant,
which is the opposite of what has to happen.
Therefore I wrote this with respect,  hoping to point out a bit that you
have a pearl in the contents of your tradition by the word 'Maya'.
With greetings,
Ger