[Advaita-l] Can non-sannyAsIs also study VedAnta? (was Fwd: [advaitin] Kanchi Maha-Swamigal's Discourses on Advaita Saadhanaa (KDAS-8))

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 19:04:06 CDT 2005

Another posting forwarded from the advaitin list.

Question asked in the previous posting:
"Some do ask: “The Acharya himself has said that the teaching of the
maha-vakyas that proclaim the identity of Jiva and Brahman is only
for the Sannyasi.  On the other hand how come the Sama Veda
maha-vakya was taught  to the Brahmachari Svetaketu by his father?”"

Answer to the above question:
"That is why the Acharya prescribed, as a
general rule, that the teaching of the mahavakya is to be
done at the time one is initiated into Sannyasa...Every rule has
its exception. Even the general rule of minimum age for
high school graduation is exempted for very bright
students. So also the rule that only a Sannyasi is eligible
for Brahma-Vidya  has been exempted for that Samaveda boy,
Shvetaketu...This should not be shown as a precedent for the
claim that the upadesha of the mahavakya should apply to
all."