[Advaita-l] Re: Anthropic principle

Krishnan Sundaresan krish.sundaresan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 09:38:16 CDT 2005

Dear list-members.

Apologies if you receive multiple copies. My previous reply was returned
undelivered. I seem to have problems replying from my gmail account to this
list. Can the list-admin please advise?

My $0.02:

The anthropic principle is human-centered, i.e., it proclaims that humanity
does hold a special place in the universe. So does our Aitareya Upanishad
from the Rigveda. Chapter 1, section 2, verses 3-4 of that Upanishad
proclaim similar beliefs. Verse 3, in particular, says: "... God first tried
to put the sense organs in a cow and then in a horse. But the divinities
(senses) were not happy with these creations. So he finally created the
human being, a very appropriate creation for the proper functioning of the
divinities".

This verse has also been interpreted by many as pointing to the theory of
evolution of humans from four-legged creatures and nature (God) having
promoted the fittest being (Man) and blessed him with the power of thinking.
But it is paradoxical in the sense that, according to this interpretation,
evolution (Darwinism) seems to be promoted by Intelligent Design (ID). That
should throw a huge spanner in the works of the Darwinism.vs. ID debate
currently raging here in the US.

-Regards
Krishnan

--
Krishnan Sundaresan, http://www.msu.edu/~sundare2
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48823, USA.