[Advaita-l] Re: Exit of soul (Badisa)

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Sep 1 02:11:53 CDT 2005

Dear Bhaskar Prabhuji

Humble praNAms Sri Prof. VK prabhuji
Hare Krishna

VK prabhuji:

Your statement: "Shankara's comments in ArabhaNAdhikaraNa
sUtra bhAshya  is very interesting in this regard."

I am not able to locate this in the Sutra Bhashya. Can you
make the reference more specific? Thanks.

bhaskar :

This is what I had written in that mail :

// quote //
Shankara's comments in ArabhaNAdhikaraNa sUtra bhAshya
 is very interesting in this regard.  He says Ishwara's Ishvaratva (nature
 of Ishwara), omniscience (sarvajnatva) and omnipotence (sarvashaktitva)
 are only relative to the limitation due to the conditioning associates
 called up by avidya!!  But from the absolute point of view there can be
 neither Ishwara nature nor the convention of omniscience etc. in the
 Atman.
// unquote //

prabhuji, I think this sUtra is very important for us to understand what
 exactly mean Ishwara paramArthically.  Shankara's bhAshya throws abundant
 light on the place of saguNatva in the absolute state.  The theory of
 cause & effect (kAraNa & kArya) has been discussed in detail in this sUtra
 bhAshya.  Just I've quoted some translated portion of that long running
 commentary.  In original dEvanAgari text it goes something like this : *
 avidyAtmakOpAdhiparicchEdApEkshyamEva Ishvarasya IshvaratvaM,
 sarvajnatvaM, sarvashaktitvan cha, na paramArthatO ..........(not sure
 just calling from the memory) prabhuji, sUtra is
 *tadananyatvamAraMbhaNashabdAdibhyaH* in the second adhyAya...in
 AraMbhanAdhikaraNa.  Kindly let me know if you need any further details
 prabhuji.

PraNAms to all seekers of Truth.
profvk

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!