[Advaita-l] On a Vedic quest

sunil bhattacharjya skbhattacharjya at yahoo.co.in
Tue Oct 25 18:51:32 CDT 2005

Dear Sir,

In the eastern part of India, at the start of
agnihotra,the fire is purified by sending the
flesh-eating component of the fire to yamaloka with a
mantra and then the  remaining fire is requested to
carry the oblations to the deity invoked.Fire obtained
from any source, even by lighting a match box, should
be OK if properly purified as above,

Secondly the yajnadhoom ( the smoke from the yajna
)has special significance. Some say that the smoke
from the herbs offered to the fire or the smoke from
the burning of cow-dung cakes etc. has medicinal
properties too. I wonder if the smokeless fire has any
Vedic sanction.

Thirdly the saying at the end of the ahuti " idam na
mama "truly signifies that the meterial has truly been
sacrificed and that no more belongs to the sacrificer.
without this ending the sacrifice is not complete.

S.K.Bhattacharjya

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/fr/2002/09/13/stories/2002091301040600.htm