[Advaita-l] Rearrangement of Vedas

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:13:06 CDT 2005

Sri Krishnarao Lanka wrote:

> I am unable to
> assimilate the analysis made about the Vedas with younger and older theory
> and also the rearrangement of the veda mantras, to suit according to the
> convenience of the purohits or priests theory. I had to change my opinion
> that he is deeply under the influence of the western historians who
> actually wanted to create an impression that all our beliefs about the
> Vedas and other scriptures are false and baseless.

Kanchi mahA swaAmigal in his book on veads holds that veda is just one
and its subdivision into r^k etc. is indeed for our convenience. It
seems not only western scholars, but even the traditionalists also buy
the re-arrangement theory.

Also, the struggle between the proponents of trayi-vidyA on one side
and supporters of atharvaNa like bhr^gu and angiras on the other side,
is too well documented to ignore. If there were never any
rearrangements, how do we explain that many scholars at one time had
refused to accept atharva as part of veda?

praNAm