[Advaita-l] Logic and shastra

solai at ihb.net solai at ihb.net
Tue Oct 18 03:01:51 CDT 2005

Dear Members,

I was busy with my works and I didn't read the old mails then and I just
read my archived mails. Mr.Amuthan's mail given at the bottom was
fantastic. So, I want to add something here. Though the thread had ended
long back, the subject is ever living.

No logic or no science can explain how sweet tastes. We have to
experience it by ourselves. Anuman takes closer to the reality. Suppose,
if a person asks how Gulabjaman tastes, we will tell it is sweaty and we
will quote any similar sweet tasted by that person. But, we cannot
explain logically in anyway to that person, how exactly the Gulabjaman
tastes.

When we explain something similar to what we had already experienced, it
is somehow easier.

But, what Sruti tries to do is: it tries to explain colours to a blind
person, who knows only sounds. Colours are brahmangyana state, blind
persons are us, sounds are the maya world. Whatever we try to explain to
the blind person he cannot see the colours. That is what happening to us
also. A blind person may discard the explanations for colour based on
his own logics. But, it does not mean that there is no colour exists.
So, unless we remove his blindness and show him the colours he cannot
understand the colours. To remove the blindness is what Mr.Amuthan
suggested Shri Ramanamahrishi's Self enquiry.

We should use science and logics to understand the Sruti in a better
way. As we are blind persons we have to accept whatever Sruti says until
we experience it.

Sruti also is a signboard, it shows the way, if we sit on the signboard,
sign board will not take us to the destination. Our own Self enquiry is
the vehicle.

Thanks
Solaikannan