[Advaita-l] Some questions on Advaita Vedanta and Smartism

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Mon Nov 7 10:12:55 CST 2005

Dear participant
Linga means the mark /type /category and does not mean a penis.In Samskrit
there are three lingams-sthree lingam,pullingam and napumsakalingam.meaning
female ,male and all other living, nonliving beings/things which donot have
buddhi.We may linga is equivalent of gender of English Grammer.The Samskrit
word for penis is shisna.So linga has to be construed as a mark/indicator
only and not as suggested.Yoni denotes the gateway out of which future
babies comeout inrespect of mammals.Shiva is linga swarupa does not mean
that He is like a penis.He is available in any symbol the devotee
chooses.Pranams.R.Krishnamoorthy.