[Advaita-l] prapAThaka vs prashna

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:37:51 CST 2005

I consulted my Monier Williams and he indicates that prapaaThaka
indicates a chapter in the "TS, Br &C".

For prashna, he merely says that it's a short section in books,
without reference to vedas.

Curiously enough, all the books I have divide the samhitaa, braahmaNa
and aaraNyaka into prashnas. I have, as I mentioned before, seen the
word prapAThaka being used in older grantha texts, but only for the
samhitaa.

Keith in his translation (available online) of the samhitaa uses the
word prapaaThaka also.

Is the usage of the word prashna more modern than prapaaThaka?

I would like the publication details of any books (from anyone who has
them), which use the word prapaThaka for samhitaa, braahmaNa or
aaraNyaka, including the date of publication.

Thanks!

Rama