[Advaita-l] Advaita Vedanta and Ignorance

Aditya Varun Chadha adichad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:32:16 CST 2005

Greetings,

Although I am not very well read in the advaitin literature, I wish to
test my understanding of its teachings by addressing the (imho) very
profound question about the seeming contradiction between 'ignorance'
and the Atman = brAhmaN doctrine of advaita. I thank Krunal and the
others for raising it in the first place.

Ignorance is a property of the mind, and the mind is just another
sensory faculty as is expounded by most of vedAnta. The mind then
should not be confused with the Atman. The Atman is not ignorant, the
avidyA is a trait of the mind and thus is synonymous with mAyA itself.
When we say, "I am ignorant," this "I" does not refer to the Atman
that advaita or vedAnta in general talk about. Rather, this "I" is a
mask that is the mind. In fact, we are saying that "the mind is
ignorant," which is not only consistant but also redundant, since the
mind is mAyA and mAyA is ignorance. brAhmaN is nirguNa, and since
Atman is the same, it cannot have 'ignorance' as a guNa (or avguNa for
that matter, really doesn't matter)

Now atleast we can see that Atman itself is not ignorant. In
enlightenment the Atman does not go through any transformation at all,
the Atman is by its very nature identical with brAhmaN. What probably
does happen (only going from a logical progression, I am in no way
claiming that this is what actually happens, it's just speculation) is
that the mind (mAyA) finally fully realizes (an imaginary action since
the subject itself is an illusion) and sees the fact that the Atman
(Self) IS brAhmaN, along with the fact that the mind itself is mAyA.

With this seeming self-negation, this 'enlightened' mind dispells its
own ignorance, and PERCEIVES the Atman-brAhmaN identity (note that
perception itself is mAyA or illusion). This is the source of Bliss
that enlightenment is associated with. In fact, this bliss, if taken
strictly, is itself mAyA, because it is experienced by the mind, which
is mAyA (it is not 'experienced' by Atman). But this bliss is the most
intense, because it is a result of the mind making an everlasting
discovery about its own nothingness. The pure bliss of knowing that I
am nothing but bRahmaN. This experience is very similar (if not the
same) to that experienced in many disciplines like buddhism, sufism,
etc.

But then, what is the significance of Atman as a concept at all? Atman
is the manifested brAhmaN, the goal towards which the mind (mAyA) can
work to negate itself. In negating itself, this mAyA itself goes from
ignorance (darkness) to enlightenment || tamaso mA jyotirgamayah ||,
thus realizing its own nothingness with respect to Atman and thus
brAhmaN.

Atman is just a manifestation of brAhmaN which the mind can better
accept as its object of meditation or quest. The brAhmaN aspect of
this same reality is simply too much for the mind to grapple with. So
Atman is often seen to be in some way 'attached' to the mind. But this
is not so, in fact it is the other way round. The mind feels an
affinity for the Atman (through the linguistic tool "I") easier than
for the brAhmaN concept directly. For example, when the mind thinks "I
am All" it finds it easier to attatch itself to the "I" rather than
the "All", which is atleast a starting point.
---- x ----

I request the readers of this list to kindly read my arguments and
comment on it. I do not presume that what I said above is true or
correct, it is just my current understanding, kindly help in
dispelling our collective mAyA by pointing out any axiomatic, literary
or logical flaw or incompleteness that you notice above.

|| nAyamAtmA balhInen labhyah ||

Aum.

--
Aditya Varun Chadha