[Advaita-l] How can one claim to know Brahman?

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:36:37 CST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Mahesh Ursekar wrote:

  > And continuing my last thought, if words and thoughts cannot capture
 > or understand this reality then only experience can. For example, take
 > the word 'Love'. A million words cannot capture what a single feeling
 > can. And therefore the only way you can understand Brahman is through
 > experience which is in Samadhi!

Example of "love" is not appropriate in this case. No one contests that love
is a feeling to be felt rather than something to be understood. This is not
true of Brahman. If at all, it would be more appropriate to compare it with
the knowledge of moonlight or rising sun. Moon does not have light of its
own; or sun does not actually rise or set; are facts to be understood rather
than felt or experienced. True understanding of moonlight and rising sun
validates our experience but also transcends it and explains it from a
higher platform. Knowledge of Brahman is the ultimate understanding where
all the pieces of puzzle fit together. This understanding may bring with it
a feeling of exhiliration or eureka, however this feeling itself is not the
understanding of Brahman. Regards.