mantras (was Re: [Advaita-l] The Wisdom in ...)

sri parasukhananda nadha sriparasukhanandanadha at rediffmail.com
Thu Mar 3 10:58:42 CST 2005

  Priya mahaasay,
   Sometime back I have asked the same question to my guruji, whether we should not recite any mantra without understanding its meaning perfectly well in advance. For that, he was telling me that the mantras, especially veda mantras do not stick to one particular meaning.  They are so flexible to give various meanings according to the occation and also according to the needs if the sadhaka.  In srividyaandhra bhaashyam (telugu ) my paramaguru sri sriyaanandanadha has most elaborately explained how a manthra could be interpreted in several ways making it suitable according to our needs.  He gave hundreds of examples as a proof of it.  The book is available from ' Saadhana Grandha Mandali, Tenali 522 201.
               Bhaskaracharya in his Varivasya Ragasyam and also in other books has extracted several number of meanings for one single mantra.  Veda mantras were interpreted by sevaral commentators, every one with a different different meaning of their own.
               My guruji was explaing many yogic secrets, and was explaining how the commonly used veda mantras contain directions for the saadhana.  He was telling us to devote upon the mantra to extract meanings in different ways every day until the last breath of ours.(aa supthe raa `mrithaascha )  That is also one kind of Japa ( that chintanam thad bhavanam ).
             Our knowledge is very much limitted to understand the veda mantras.  It would be just like attaching stair cases one after another  to catch the sky in our hands.  The effect will be there, when reciting the mantras even without understanding just as the fire will not act otherwuse even if we do not know that it will burn us.  If recited properly with an understanding of some meaning, it will certainly give the desired effects. There are several instances of raining instantly when recited Varuna mantraas combined with Rudram.  I my self have witnessed such occations, which is unexpected before hand but resulted most wonderfully even though the reciters were not much educated in sanskrit.
             If anybody says that when Muttuswamy Deekshitar while singing Amrithavarshini raagam, all of a sudden pouring rain occured, what will you say?  Is it due to the combination of some sounds of the raga or due to the meaning of that raga?
            There was one multi millioneer of Mumbai whose two daughters became totally blind, with certain congenital eye disease,  came upto Arasavilli where there is a temple for the Sun god at a northern fag end location of Andhrapradesh, when all the human efforts were failed, and all the doctors declared it as incurable.  He with his two daughters lived here for about six months on the advise of some learned friends and arranged a purohit,  to chant Aruna Paatham every day in front of the two children.  The purohit is not an educated one, nor he knows the meanings of Arunam mantras.  Miraculously both the two children have regained their vision.  Can any one show whether there is any specific command for regaining the lost sight mentioned, in the Aruna paatham?  We have to believe and follow the elders words, who say any thing with their past experiences.
                                 "Kaula pratishthan na kuryaat"
sriparasukhanandanadha   .