[Advaita-l] Evolution of the Universe

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jun 29 00:48:49 CDT 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, kashyapa sharma wrote:

> The Sadhaka Brothers and Sisters would agree,the first very
> thing we remember when mentioned about advaita is Adi Shankara.He urges
> every human being to find the answers for the following questions: 1)Who
> are you? 2)Where are you from or origin? 3)What is your ultimate
> destination? Of the three questions the question of origin is quite
> intriguing and requires profound studies to realize our origin.Being a
> student,the question of origin is troubling me.Hence I request the
> Sadhakas to let me know about Adi Shankara's texts which answer the
> questions.I shall be grateful to you all.
>

>From the standpoint of Advaita Vedanta, our origin is in chitta or
consciousness. Other explanations are possible.  Such as we originated
from certain primordial amino acids which evolved over millenia into human
beings.  But what does protein care about origins?  Without consciousness
how could we say "I" come from x where x is anything?  So based on this
answer to question 2, the answer to question 3 is the goal is to become
pure consciousness.