[Advaita-l] Vishva-mitra and not Vishvaa-mitra

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 15:51:39 CDT 2005

The file at http://www.advaitin.com/Soundaryalahari2.pdf has a
commentary by the late Kanchi pontiff on the Soundaryalahari.
Specifically on verse 44, we find:

"The word sImantaM is a union of 'sImA' and 'antaM'. SImA means
boundary, here, the boundary that parts the two sides of the
hair. Its 'antam' is the end of that boundary. Technically it
should have been 'sImAntaM' but the middle long 'A' has been
shortened. This is actually an exception to the usual
grammatical rule. A similar exception, but in the opposite
direction, takes place in the name 'VishvAmitra' where it should
have been only 'Vishvamitra', thus meaning, friend of the world.
On the other hand as 'VishvAmitra' ('Vishva' + 'amitra') it now
means 'the enemy of the world'. Again this is an unusual
grammatical exception."

-Kartik

--- "Subrahmanian,  Sundararaman V [FI]"