[Advaita-l] Brahmarishi

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 08:56:16 CDT 2005

On Thursday, June 23, 2005, at 06:20  AM, Ramesh Murthy wrote:

>> Brahmarshi (vocalic r in a compound becomes ar in Sanskrit) just
>> means a
>> Rishi who was a Brahmana.
>> Similiarly, Rajarshi is a Rishi of Kshatriya stock.
>
> ** I doubt if this is true. To my knowledge, a Brahmarshi is simply a
> rishi who has realized Brahman.

Explanation given by Sri Jaldhar Vyas is the usually accepted meaning
of Brahmarshi. If Brahma-jnanam were the criterion for calling someone
a Brahmarshi, the whole Vishwamitra-Vasishtha episode would not carry
any meaning. Apparently both were Brahma-jnanis but Vishwamitra
excelled in other disciplines also. Vishwamitra's resentment centers
around the fact that despite his superior qualifications than
Vasishtha, he is not considered a Brahmarshi.