[Advaita-l] Re: logic and shastra

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 15:30:13 CDT 2005

Pranams:

disagree). But, let me reiterate my position because sometimes I feel the
thrust of my arguments is being misunderstood. You say:

 >> given this, the last sentence of the

>> previous paragraph, the impossiblity of understanding

>> the undefined terms like "Atman" etc. through such a

>> method of logical analysis, is clear.

 Let me be clear that, like Wittgenstein, I fully accept that it is
impossible to capture Brahman in an equation (or even in words which are
likely to be more fault prone and inaccurate). However, what I wanted to
establish was merely the *need* for the existence of reality that is beyond
time, space and causation. I gave a couple of arguments in that regard (one
of Sankara's) which were neither refuted nor acknowledged. While I can
accept that such a reality can exist, I, as of now, fail to see why this
need have the essence of sat-cit-ananda. Can you help?

 >> now, applying the above "scientific" method to the

>> vedAnta, it is enough to note that the undefined terms

>> here, however greatly we may delude ourselves to the

>> contrary, are "Atman", "brahman", "chit", "mAyA" etc.

>> (i have not really attempted a formal axiomatic

>> construction of vedAnta and hence i don't claim

>> completeness in the above list. nevertheless, the

>> terms above which are stated as undefined seem correct

>>to me.

 I have grave reservations in your use of the "scientific" method. Two
reasons:

   1. An axiom by it's very nature is "simple" and intuitive. For
   example, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line in
   Euclidean space. It cannot be proved but neither does it require a huge
   intellectual leap to agree with it. In fact science (and mathematics in
   particular) starts with "simple" axioms and builds on more complex theorems.
   However, you seem to start in the reverse - "Reality is Brahman" and then
   arrive at the relatively mundane. I think the Buddhist do better with the
   four noble truths (axioms?) - "Life is suffering", "There is a cause for
   suffering", "Suffering can be removed", "There exist a path for removal of
   suffering". Even an uneducated person can identify with this.
   2. Ok, let us assume that axiom is for the more cultured and refined.
   But then what does it explain? Sankara has, by some Western thinkers, been
   accused of "explaining away the world" rather than explaining it! So, the
   only useful thing this axiom achieves is explain in a consistent and
   stupendous manner the shastras. Outside of that the axiom's use is minimal!

 >> "to conclude, the best method(-this is again a personal

>> view) to test the Sruti vAkya-s to check if it can be

>> "thrown out of the window" is by direct experience

>> through self-introspection (Atma vichAra)

 That is what we are all doing - introspection in some sense here. All we
write and discuss is the flow of what is going on inside us. The compelling
are intense need to know. But how many on this list can claim to be an iota
close to really understanding the vakyas? And by understanding here I mean
living the meaning because you may understand but yet not know! IMHO, you
are missing a very very important link here to establish the truth…….

 Humble pranams, Mahesh