[Advaita-l] logic and shastra

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 11:41:39 CDT 2005

Pranams:
 >> And why can't a dogma be logical? Why can't a dogma be a valid means of
>> truth?
 Becuase a dogma has no basis to stand on except on blind belief. It can be
proved wrong by a rational mind.

>> their primary scriptural emphasis is on the
>> Bhagavata Purana and the Gita not the upanishads, they came from an area
>> of India where Vedic tradition was very week.
 You are right there. Infact, they waver when you mention that Krishna is
not mentioned in the Upanishads. However, they also accept the dwaitin
Madhavacharya is part of the lineage of teachers that has been handed down
the 'true' teachings of the Vedas. So, in some ways they have reconciled in
their minds that theirs is a complete philosophy based on all the teachings
of the Vedas.
 >> Can you give me a reason other than atheism why you would consider the
>> pramana of pratyaksha to be more important than Shruti?
 It would be better to say that I would consider the 5 (pratyaksha, anuman,
upamana, arthapatti and anupalabdi) more important that sruti. Only the
first 5 can establish or disprove the claims of the sixth. And if they show
the last praman to be invalid, I would not hesitate to throw it out of the
window.
 Humble pranams, Mahesh