[Advaita-l] logic and shastra

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:56:01 CDT 2005

Sri Mahesh Ursekar wrote:

"The current Dalai Lama has gone on record to say that the Buddhist
scriptures can be thrown away if any of their truths are proved wrong
by science, however dear they may be to him. So, did the great Buddha
say - do not take me as a God but question every thing I tell you and
reject it if it doesn't agree with reason. Would you hold Shruti as
fact even if 'proved'
  invalid by science?"

Science and shruti operate in different realms that do not intersect.
Science works on pratyaksha etc. as pramana while shruti is a pramana
in itself. If something in shruti can be proved or disproved by other
pramanas, it is not in the valid jurisdiction of shruti. Shruti is a
pramana where no other pramana is available. How can therefore be any
conflict between shruti and science or any other field of knowledge?

" Can you possibly point me to a place in Mumbai where I can get such
treasures (in English only)?

For vedanta books (English) in Mumbai, try 1) Chetana Book Store at
Kala Ghoda 2) Bharati Vidya Bhavan bookstore at Chowpatty 3) Motilal
Banarasidas bookstore near Mahalaxmi Mandir and 4) (I forget the name)
bookstore near shankar matham at Matunga. If something is not available
at these four places, you can pretty much assume that it is not
available in Mumbai.

Regards.