[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 2

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 04:43:28 CDT 2005

Pranams:
 I realized that I did only a 'Reply' instead of a 'Reply All' in my last
posting due to which the answer to Jaldhar's question would not be available
to all. So here it is again:

Reference: S. Radhakrishnan, Indian Philosophy, Vol 2, Publisher Oxford
India Paperbacks,

Chapter VIII, The Advaita Vedanta of Samkara, page 517

 He states:

"Samkara recognizes the need of reason to test scriptural views. Whenever he
has an opportunity, he tries to confirm scriptural statements by rational
argument [3], Reasoning (tarka) which works as an auxiliary of intuition
(anubhava), is commended by him. Reason with him is a critical weapon
against untested assumptions and a creative principle which selects and
emphasizes the facts of truth."

 [3] See Samkara Bhasya on Gaudapada Karika iii. 27. In commenting on iii. 1
of Guadapada's Karika, Samkara says: "It is asked whether the Advaita is to
be taken as proved only on the evidence of sruti and whether reason cannot
possibly demonstrate it and this chapter shows how the Advaita can be
demonstrated by reason". For a fuller discussion of the relation of reason
to revelation in Samkara's philosophy, see two articles by Mr. V Subramanya
Aiyar in Sanskrit Reasearch of July 1915 and Indian Philosophical Review of
April 1918 and Mr. Suryanarayanan's paper on "Critical Idealism and the
Advaita Vedanta" in the Mysore University Magazine for November 1919.
 In the meantime, I also managed to locate Swami Krishnananda's article that
tries to arrive at the noumenon via reason. The discourse is titled "*MAN'S
DESTINY IN THE UNIVERSE*" but many of the arguments contained therein would
apply to the subject of this thread. Find the link below:
 http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_81.html
 Regards, Mahesh