[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 2

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:34:12 CDT 2005

Pranams:
 > Another point is that I believe S. Radhakrishnan in his classic two
volume book on Indian philosophy makes > a reference to the fact that Adi
Sankaracharya managed to achieve this feat.
 I fear my text was interpreted incorrectly possibly due to the incorrect
juxtaposition of sentences. What I wanted to say was that S. Radhakrishnan
in his book (and I confirmed this yesterday) mentions that Adi Sankaracharya
arrived at the necessity of Brahman by pure logical arguments without
recourse to the Upanishads. He did indeed do this in his Bhasya on the
Gaudapada Karika. However, the need of existence of Brahman is quite
different from being able to capture its profoundity in words. Infact, that
is exactly what Wittgenstein was trying to show - that words and symbols
cannot capture the essence of the noumenon or in Vedantic terms, Brahman.

>> Why? What makes you think hearing and reflecting on shastras doesn't
>> involve thought processes?
 I fully agree that meditating on the sruti requires a profound depth of
thinking. However, the point of my post was whether one needs to depend on
the conclusion ('*Prajnanam Brahma" - 'Brahman is conciousness')* solely
based on the sruti or can one arrive at it with logical arguments.
 Regards, Mahesh