[Advaita-l] A Question on shlokas VI-15 and VI-28 of the Gita

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Jun 6 22:44:32 CDT 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, V. Krishnamurthy wrote:

> Namaste
>
> In the detailed description of meditation, Lord Krishna
> goes through the actual processes of meditation, once in
> shlokas #s 10 to 15 and again in #s 24 to 28.
>
> The last shlokas in the two  sets are #15 and #28. In a
> sense they wind up the process of meditation.The first
> quarters  of these two shlokas are  the same:
> 'yunjannevaM sadA AtmAnaM'  (Thus engaging himself always
> in yoga)
>
> The second halves of these two shlokas mean the same thing;
>
> 'shAntiM nirvAN a-paramAm mat-samsthAM adhigacchati' (#15)
> (attains to the peace abiding in Me, which culminates in
> liberation)
>
> 'sukhena brahma-samsparshaM atyantaM sukhaM ashnute' (#28)
> (easily enjoys the infinite bliss of contact with brahman).
>
> But now mark it! The second quarters of the first halves of
> these two shlokas are significantly different.
>
> 'yogI niyata-mAnasaH' (#15)
> (The Yogi who has controlled his mind)
>
> 'yogI vigata-kalmashhaH' (#28)
> (The Yogi, who has been freed from sins).
>
> Now comes my question: Why this difference?  (*)

I think it is significant this comes in the chapter called dhyanayoga.  It
shows once again how the Gita takes Samkhya ideas and extends them to
Vedantic conclusions.

The first is talking about a yogi who has reached the state of samadhi
where there is calmness of mind and equilibrium of the three gunas.  This
is reached by niyamas and other steps of rajayoga.  (See preceding
shlokas.)

The second is talking about the yogi who has gone beyond pairs of
opposites such as virtue and sin.  (This is the meaning of "free from sin")
In that state the world of three gunas is seen as only maya and only the
infinite bliss of Brahman is experienced.

While the first path involves karma (the 8 steps of rajayoga,) the
second requires jnana.