[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 2

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:50:06 CDT 2005

Pranams Mayuresh:
 >> Furthermore, it is the enduring legacy of Kant and
>> Wittgenstein (and there may be others before Kant I
>> dont know of) that we simply cannot go beyond the
>> phenomenal world as long as we stick to means like
>> language and symbols to communicate our thoughts
 Two points. From what I have read, Wittgenstein never managed to prove his
claim (that reality lies beyond words and symbols). He came close to it be
never nailed it down. Infact, if he had done it, science would have been
given a serious run for its money. Another point is that I believe S.
Radhakrishnan in his classic two volume book on Indian philosophy makes a
reference to the fact that Adi Sankaracharya managed to achieve this feat.
Maybe the Sankaracharya's arguments were not as rigorous as required by
current philosophy (which gets close to mathematics in rigor at times) but
it would indeed be interesting is someone knows something about his
thoughts.
 And when you think about it, for a Jnani, like the erstwhile Vidyaranya,
whose profound thinking Jaldhar extolls, relying merely on the sruti would
be revolting. Rather his or her greater reliance on thought processes is
what classifies him or her as a Jnani in the first place! There has to be a
convincing enough reason why a reality beyond time, space and causation has
to exist! Jaldhar, any thoughts?
 >> The later does not follow from the
>> former. If anything may be deduced, it is that "if an
>> external agency exists, then it tends to help those
>> who have the right attitude"
 Of course, you missed point linking the two statements:
1. A dullard does well if he or she has the right attitude
2. A dullard can do well only if an intelligent agency is helping him or her
 Linking statement: In my arguments below, I said:
Now, while <<1. may be true due to the law: "you are what you think">> you
can't deny
that the dullard would most likely not be resourceful enough to reach the
high position he or she
is currently at. Hence the need for 2.
 I read a nice arugment by Swami Krishnananda of the Divine Life Society
which tries to show that 'causality' is all in the mind. It does not touch
reality. Maybe I can place it before this audience when I have access to it.
 Regards, Mahesh