[Advaita-l] Animal sacrifice is black karma

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 17:02:41 CST 2005

Nakamura and Mayeda have not conducted any study of the vivaraNa. They
merely repeat Hackers ***speculation*** on the authorship of the
vivaraNa. Hacker speculated that sha.nkara was a yogin who "converted"
to advaita and speculated that this was an "early" work. The only
people who have conducted an in depth study are Rukmani and to a
lesser extent Halbfass.

Mahasannidhaanam has recommended works on nyAya also. Surely that
doesn't mean he is a naiyAyika or that he thought that it was accepted
by sha.nkara. The vivavaraNa has some intrinsic value, being good. It
does not matter who the author is to judge the quality of the work.

In any case all these works have absolutely no validity in discussions
regarding karma - nitya or otherwise.

To clarify, nitya karmas do not involve meat. Some naimittika karmas
do involve meat, e.g., shrAddha according to aapastamba. Of course no
one uses meat in shraaddha, that's a different thing. Both nitya and
naimittika karmas have to be performed, only kaamaya karmas can be
avoided.

Rama