[Advaita-l] RE: Vedic Shakhas for kshatriyas and vaishyas?

ravi chandrasekhara vadhula at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 22:19:12 CST 2005

Dear Jaldhar and list members,

If Gandhiji underwnet upanayana, how come no photos in
his later years in a dhoti portray him with a janoi or
yagnopaveet ? I know many Gujarati vaishyas (I presume
with the last names: Shah, Seth, Shroff, etc) who dont
wear the yagnopaveet or even had upanayana. (the ones
I know are around my age --- 35-40 and the generation
before) This also appears to be the case among some
Arya Vaisyas in South India in this generation (but
they obtain it day before thier wedding and many do
not wear it afterwards) but their parents generation
tends to wear the yagnopaveet.

Another point; I read an article in an US Indian
newspaper where members of the Patel community were
initiated into Sanyas in the Swami Narayan sect and
received yagnopaveet. First of all, I thought taking
Sanyas, one gives up the yagnopaveet.  In addition are
Patels Dvijas ?; the many I know do not have a history
for generations undergoing upanayana. I heard Patels
(or more apt Patidars) are descendants ok Kurmis from
Punjab and call themselves Kshatriyas.  But in North
India, Kurmis are thought to be considered Shudras.

Ravi Chandrasekhara