[Advaita-l] RE: Vedic Shakhas for kshatriyas and vaishyas?

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 07:08:55 CST 2005

>Are there veda pathasalas who admit vaisyas and kshatriyas
>without discriminating against Brahmanas ?

I am not sure about veda pathasalas, but definitely there are vidvAns who do
not discriminate on this basis. One of my vaisya friend (and she is a woman)
is learning vedas from a very learned pundit in B'lore. North India is still
more liberal. I am a kAyastha from Lucknow. There is no consensus regarding
kAyastha's place in CAturvarnya system. Some have placed them in kshatriya,
some in vaiSya and still others in Sudra category. However I did not find
any difficulty in finding a proper teacher because of not being a brAhmaNa,
though i myself could never devote enough time to this pursuit.

In fact, majority of vedic vidvAns are not in a position where they can
afford the luxury of chosing a student. By the time they master vedas and
sAyaN bhashya, they are already overage for entry level emplyment
opportunities. And very few of them are able to simultaneously cope with the
rigors of secular education. Practically, after mastering vedas they do not
have any gainful employment opportunities. If they are lucky, they get
priesthood in some local temple or become purohit. A lot many end up being a
yoga teacher. Some turn to begging---plain and simple. Those who entirely
depend upon teaching vedas do not have many livelihood options. If you can
pay, you are welcome. If you do not have time to go to them, they will be
more than willing to come to your place for an additional paltry sum. I
would say that anyone who is even a bit interested should start learning
irrespective of the caste. If nothing else at least he will earn the puNya
of supporting a vedic vidvAn.

Regards,
Sanjay Kumar Srivastava

8102, 14th Avenue, Apt # 3
Hyattsville
MD-20783, U.S.A.
Ph: 301-332-9082 (Cell), 301-434-3773 (Res)