[Advaita-l] RE: Vedic Shakhas for kshatriyas and vaishyas?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 12:27:23 CST 2005

>Namaste,
>We find in the mahabharatha and the puraanas that
>kshatriyas like Lord Krishna, Pandavas etc had learnt
>the vedas. Is there any evidence to show that
>kshatriyas and vaishyas had their vedic shakhas? Could
>this be connected to the shakhas that are now lost?

There is no evidence for this. The distribution of vedic SAkhAs is not
determined by caste. Typically, in ancient times, the teachers of kshatriya
and vaiSya students would have also been brAhmaNas, as teaching (adhyApana)
was considered the duty of only brAhmaNas. The loss of many SAkhAs is due to
the extinction (naturally or deliberately) of the families that kept up the
individual traditions.

Vidyasankar