[Advaita-l] Qn. on prANAyAmam in sandhyAvandanam

Amuthan Arunkumar R aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jan 10 22:42:47 CST 2005

namo nArAyaNAya !

Dear group members,

I have a question regarding the prANAyAmam that is a
part of the sandhyAvandanam. I was taught to breathe
in thru' the left nostril (pUrakam), retain it
reciting mentally the prANAyAma mantra thrice
(kumbhakam) and then breathe out thru' the right
nostril (recakam). But as I am given to understand,
the duration of the pUrakam, kumbhakam and recakam
stand in the ratio 1:4:2, in that order (I remember
reading this in Sandilya upanishad, which deals in
detail with ashTAn.ga yogam). But in the prANAyAmam
used in sandhyAvandanam, I don't remember being taught
any specific relative duration for the pUrakam or
recakam or for that matter even kumbhakam (other than
the duration in reciting the prANAyAma mantra thrice).
I'd be extremely thankful if someone can help me in
this aspect, and give details regarding the proper
(traditional) practice of prANAyAmam in
sandhyAvandanam.

hari sarvatra,
aparyAptAmr.ta

=====
Amuthan Arunkumar R,
Department of Aerospace Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology Madras.

Address : 327, Tapti Hostel, IIT Madras.

Ph : 9840482709