[Advaita-l] RE: Jaimini's mimamsa sutras

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:01:01 CST 2005

>Are the mImAmsa sutras still extant? I had read
>somewhere that they contain 1000 "sections" as opposed
>to 192 "sections" of the Brahma sutras. Also I
>understand that advaita could be considered as a
>"modified" purva mimamsa bcos of the importance put on
>karma for non-sannyasis by Shrimad Shankaracharya (as
>in the Gita Bhashya).

The mImAMsA sUtras (technically, the pUrva mImAMsA sUtras) are indeed quite
extant and have been studied extensively, both by traditional pundits and
modern scholars. I am not sure about the number of topics discussed in them,
but please note that the 192 sections (the technical Sanskrit term is
adhikaraNa) of the brahmasUtras are according to the advaita vedAnta
tradition. Other vedAnta traditions number the topics of the brahmasUtras
differently.

vedAnta (of all schools) is also called uttara mImAMsA, but it should not be
thought of as a modified pUrva mImAMsA. The simple reason is that the two
mImAMsA-s address different problems and different parts of the vedic
tradition. And yes, there is great importance laid on karma for
non-sannyAsins, and for this, we turn again to the pUrva mImAMsA school, but
nevertheless, vedAnta or uttara mImAMsA stands a separate and independent
darSana. Indeed, vedAnta comprises at least three major darSanas in itself -
non-difference, modified non-difference (of various flavors) and difference.

Turning to your other question about learning veda in Bangalore, I would
suggest going to Shankarapuram and contacting the pundits at the Shankara
Matha there. I'm sure one or more of them would be willing to teach people
with sufficient interest.

Regards,
Vidyasankar