[Advaita-l] Question on a short suurya namaskaaram

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 19:34:54 CST 2005

Dear List Members,

An elaborate suurya namaskaaram is performed with the aruNa prashna of
the taittiriiya aaraNyakam.

An abbreviated suurya namaskaakaram is recommended for daily
performance, which I use in my daily worship.

It consists of 4 groups of mantras:

1. udayannadya mitramaha.h, sapatnaan me aniinasha.h, ... , tasyano dehi suurya
2. udayannadya mitramaha.h, arohannutaaran divam, ... , mo ahandvishhato radham
3. aadity vaa eshha ...
4. aadityo vai teja ojo balam ...

1 and 2 are found in the taittiriiya braahmana 3.7.6.21-23. TB 3.7 is
incidentally the famous achchhidra suuktam. 2 is also found in the
R^ig veda 1.50.11-13. 3 and 4 are part of the 10th chapter of the
taittiriiya aaraNyakam.

Now 3 and 4 have a very deep meaning. 1 and 2 can be construed to be a
request for good health. But since 3 and 4 have a deep meaning, I feel
that 1 and 2 also could have a deeper meaning. A further complication
is that in 2 the verses:

shukeshhu me harimANam | ropaNAkAsu dadhmasi | atho haaridraveshhu me |

do not make much sense to me. hariman is death or illness. But why the
request to place "my illness" in 3 birds - shuka, ropaNAkA and
hAridrava. shuka is parrot. My dictionary tells me the other two are
types of birds with the helpful description that the last is yellow in
color (Monier-Williams).

What does shAyaNa have to say about these verses? Or does anyone have
any suggestions on what these might be?

Thanks!

Rama