[Advaita-l] AvasthA-traya

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 10:47:10 CST 2005

On 12/27/05, Amuthan Arunkumar R <aparyap at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> namo nArAyaNAya!
>
> dear shrI rAmakR^iShNan bAlasubrahmaNyan,
>
> --- Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian
> <rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Clearly one
> > cannot sit in the waking state and claim the dream
> > state is equally
> > real *from the point of view of waking state*. Quite
> > silly, since the
> > dream object has been sublated and is known as
> > unreal, wheras the
> > waking state objects are being experienced. This is
> > clearly brought
> > out by sha.nkara in the suutra bhaaShya.
> >

> i have quoted below an excerpt from sAdhu aruNAchala's
> experience with ramaNa maharShi. this deals with both
> the objections that you have raised (the waking-dream
> realtionship and sha~Nkara's sUtra bhAShya in this
> context). (sAdhu aruNAchala was not an avasthAtIta
> puruSha when he arrived at the conclusion.)

[ ... ]

The examination of three states and "equality" of dream versus waking
has nothing to do with whether one is realized or not. As a matter of
fact, if someone is examining the three states regarding equality or
inequality (whatever that may mean), it is clear that he is not
realized, since he has accepted the existence of the three states. A
critical examination of the three states presumes the existence of
three states. A j~naani is someone who has gone "beyond" these "three
dreams" as described in the aitareya upanishad. He does not see any
"states" or anything else. Indeed what can one see and through what?
(BrhadaaraNyaka).

As far as the quote from Sri Ramana goes, there is nothing there which
contradicts what I said in my mail.

I don't have enough time right now. Hopefully at a later date I'll
clarify thses points in detail.

Rama