[Advaita-l] On Karma Yoga: Part IV - Swadharma

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 06:02:13 CST 2005

Namaste Sadananda-ji. Thanks for your series on karma-yoga. It
clarifies many points.

I have a doubt though regarding offering of karmas to Lord.

You wrote:

> Once a devotee-salesman asked Swami
> Chinmayanandaji,  "Swamiji, as a salesman I have to lie a lot to sell
> the products that I know are not really worth, but that is my
> profession; what should I do".  Swamiji said, "Then, do it very well,
> but do not forget to take the help of Krishana, He is good in that".
> Then Swamiji added "It becomes Krishna's problem and not yours.  He will
> make sure you will find a better job that is conducive to your dharma.
> Until then follow Krishna's orders;  just as Arjuna did to kill Karna
> when Karna became armless or shot arrows at Bhiishma hiding behind
> ShikanDi'. Once you handed over your reins to the Lord, you are no more
> accountable.  Hence, Krishna says:..

I would presume that only that can be offered to Lord, which is
appropriate for offering. I do not go to temple to offer garbage to
Lord. When Lord has declared certain actions as nishiddha, does it
make sense to offer those very actions to Lord? Apparently, lying to
sell is not the same as lying to save ones life. Moreover, does this
approach not give us license to continue with our adharmic behaviour
shifting burden of responsibility away from us?

I would be grateful if you can elaborate this point further.

praNAm