[Advaita-l] Re: Love molecule

Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 18:33:26 CST 2005

Namste:

  IMHO -  A saadhaka is like is "soiled clothe".  And Guru is the "soap", that is needed to perform the cleaning action.  Does really matter what brand of SOAP one uses?  The important part is that the saadhaka uses the use to remove the dirt (avidya, the tarnished kuup-maNDuuka avasthaa).  Saadhanaa is the water that is necessary to accomplish the cleaning.

  In short, one must have the desire to get the knowledge and carry out the saadhanaa under the guidance of a knowledgeable person.

  Famous lines from muNDakopaniShada can come to the rescue of saadhaka regardless of the sampradaaya he may belong to !? -

dhanurgR^ihiitvaupanishhadaM mahaastraM sharaM hyupaasaa nishitaM sandhayiita | aayamya tad.hbhaavagatena chetasaa lakshyaM tadevaaksharaM somya viddhi || 2.2.3||

  Meaning: Taking up the great weapon - the Upanishadic bow - fix unto it the arrow of continuous contemplation and drawing it with your mind which is concentrated on the
  Brahman, O! one of pleasing looks! shoot at that target_ the immutable Brahman.

  praNavo dhanuH shaaro hyaatmaa brahma tallakshyamuchyate | apramattena veddhavyaM sharavat.h tanmayo bhavet.h || 2.2.4||

  Meaning: The mystic syllable "Om" is the bow, the arrow is the self i.e. the mind, and the target is the Brahman, it is proclaimed. By one who is not deluded, is the target to be attained. Then, just as the arrow merges into the target, the self does into Brahman.

  IMO - Hear, the upaniDhadakaara is telling us to sharpen our mind through proper standing. Significance of OM is entirely a separate topic that has been dealt on this list before.

  Every aspirant is advised to discard his desires, however, that may not be the completely true, because one has to have the desire for liberation (mumukshatva).

  With praNaama to all saadhakaa's

  Dr. Yadu

sunil bhattacharjya <skbhattacharjya at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
  Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya,

We should not downgrade the modern gurus too. Even Shri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa said that a time will come very soon when people would understand Vedanta in a single day. It is because of the modern outlook that the people as well as the new age gurus are having. Not all traditionally trained gurus are enlightened. gurus.

Regards

Sunil Bhattacharjya

Amuthan Arunkumar R wrote: namo nArAyaNAya!

--- Vidyasankar Sundaresan
wrote:

> ... And to get
> serious about vedAnta, I would suggest to keep away
> from most of the new-age
> gurus. I won't name names, but the less said about
> most of these people, the
> better.

very true. it is very easy to misinterpret advaita and
start deluding oneself to be a j~nAni. once shrI
rAmakR^iShNa paramahaMsa said that people are more
interested to become teachers, but no one is willing
to be a student! i personally feel that one
traditionally trained vidvAn can impart more knowledge
than all the "new-age" guru-s put together.

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmR^itaH.

Amuthan Arunkumar R,
Final year, B.Tech/M.Tech Dual Degree,