[Advaita-l] Re: Moksha (Badisa)

Shyam Venkataraman shyam.venkataraman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 06:14:04 CDT 2005

*Mr Ramesh Badisa: *
*Here are my responses to your answers:
*
 On 8/26/05, ramesh badisa <badisa66 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Namaste.
>
> At the outset, let me thank you for all your responses. Let us once again
> remind ourselves that discussion, if taken place under harmonic atmosphere
> without too much of rajogun, then it will be very good for spiritual
> progress also. If my postings offended any of our list members feelings,
> then I beg for forgiveness. That is never been the intension with these
> postings.
>

> "Not even Brahma, Vishnu and Siva are equal to a GYAnI."
>
> - Ramana Maharshi.
>

> Badisa: When you have indicated earlier that gyani does not feel the
> presence of his own physical body, then how come in the above statement,
> three different entities are recognized by the same gyani? He should not see
> them as such. Right? Rather he should see them as his own self. Right? So,
> it means that they all are equal. Then in that case, where is the question
> that the trinity being unequal to gyani? Thus, the above quote does not
> convey the meaning that you are thinking. It needs to be understood from a
> different out look. Guna and gunatita states. In other words, the gunas of
> above three entities are not equal to the guna rahita state of gyani and
> vice versa.

  *Shyam: A Gyani knows that Brahma, Vishnu and Siva are all forms of Saguna
Brahman. Anything that has form will be deformed in course of time. He also
knows that the higher nature of Brahma, Vishnu and Siva is the formless
Nirgunam Brahma.*

"Shankara also says something similar (in his

> [...]
> identification. Therefore, I asked earlier, if gyani, without identification
> of action, can show certain divine's lordly powers by his saguna Brahman
> aspect.
>

> " i think SrI Ramesh has wrongly equated a j~nAni with ISvara. it
>
> guess it would suffice to note that A J~NANI DOES NOT
>
> BECOME ISVARA AFTER REALIZATION"
>

> Badisa: No. I did not. Gyani attains nirgun Brahman. I never said that
> gyani becomes isvara after realization in any of my postings. You can check
> them thoroughly. What all I asked was that if gyani is divine in absolute
> sense before death, if so, then I asked if he can show the ability of
> creation of the universe. Although, saguna Brahman does creation etc
> activities, but where does the saguna Brahman manifest from? From nirgun
> Brahman only. Although NB has the powers, but by his nirgun aspect he
> chooses not to involve in creation. But the same divine with gunas is called
> saguna Brahman. Similarly, when gyani attains niguna Brahman, it is not
> possible to create the universe. Therefore, gyani, by his saguna aspect can
> show that he is indeed divine before death by showing his lordly powers,
> which means that the reference/s from Upanishads, or BS or Gita is
> sufficient in this regard. So, with respect to this frame of mind, I put the
> question. This does not convey the meaning that gyani
> is equated with Isvara directly.
>

> "btw, it is incorrect to say that something is all-pervasive w.r.t.
> nirguNa brahmam"
>

> Badisa: Misunderstanding please. All pervasive is w.r.t NB only.
>

> "All-pervasiveness is true only of ISvara (saguNa
>
> Brahmam"
>

> Badisa: Not so. Please refer to BS 4th chapter, where it mentioned about
> coming of amanav purush from creator's place to the soul that is threading
> on the path of 8/24 of Gita. This purush leads the soul to Brahma Lok
> (creator). All these points, and also many other points, conclusively prove
> that saguna Brahman is finite. I request you to go through the above text.
> Or you can check my posting dated May 8, 05, vol. 25, issue 7 in this list
> for some details.
>

> " Asking whether a gyAnI can "create the universe" etc. is useless because
> a gyAnI finds no need to do so, and in anycase, doing all this would just
> mean playing with mAyA, since the created universe and such things are all
> part of the illusion from which the gyAnI has risen"
>

> Badisa: Gyani attains nirgun Brahman. For the sake of creation, saguna
> Brahman is manifested from the nirgun Brahman. Do you think that SB will now
> be reluctant to perform creation, based on the fact that all is illusion?
> Your understanding is not correct. When gyani attains NB, and when SB
> manifests from NB, then why can't gyani show the lordly powers while living
> from SB aspect? Remember, when gyani does actions unattached, then the same
> gyani can also show the lordly powers unattached too.

* Gyani cannot show lordly powers because Gyani is essentially the
reflection of the original consciousness in an inferior medium (body-mind
complex), so the gyani's body-mind complex has inferior attributes, whereas
Iswara is the reflection of the original consciousness in a macro medium
(whole universe), so Iswara has superior attributes, so Iswara has the
powers of creation, destruction etc.. but looking from the point of the
originsl consciousness, both gyani and iswara are one and the same, but in a
vyavaharika sense, there is a world of difference between them. So your idea
that gyani can show lordly powers is wrong.*

"And this is the answer to the riddle. If it is all pervasive then it

> includes the jivanmukta (JM). It includes Ishvara etc. There is no
>
> difference between them. And therefore the jivanmukta includes parabrahman
> (PB), includes Ishwara. etc. There is no difference between them"
>

> Badisa: Right. But how about all of us? Are we are also included? Yes.
> Right? Then, are we, as souls, also all pervasive as of now?
>

> As per your above statement, JM=Ishwara=PB. No difference. It means that
> the JM should also have the ability to create etc like Ishwara. If you say
> 'yes', then it will clash with BS 4.4.17 for having more than one creator.
> If you say 'no', then in that case, it means JM is not equal to Ishwara, and
> so he is also not equal to PB. So you are contradicting your own statement.
> In that case, how can you say that JM is all pervasive?
>
> *Shyam: same as above, from the viewpoint of original consciousness, we
> are all pervasive as of now. But from the standpoint of reflected
> consciousness, we are very limited (compared to Iswara), due to the inferior
> medium (the body).
> *
> I would like to give one example from sri Shankara's life in this regard.
> He demonstrated the exit of his soul and then entered into the dead body of
> a king. Since sri Shankara is jeevan mukta at that time, if his soul is all
> pervasive at that time, then how did his soul exit his body and enter into
> the body of dead king? If the soul is all pervasive, how this existing and
> entering is possible? Then after its exit, sri Shankara's body should also
> be as alive as before if the soul is all pervasive. But, sri Shankara asked
> his disciples (sri Padmapada et al) to look after his body for some days.
> What for? More over, if the soul is all pervasive at that time, then there
> is no need to ask the disciples to protect the body. Also, the all pervasive
> soul does not and cannot require to exit his body in order to get certain
> required experiences through the body of the king. Since it is all
> pervasive, the required experiences in the question can also be obtained
> without exiting of the soul. In
> such event, there is no need to ask for about one month's time to resume
> the debate with sri Mandana Misra's wife, because, during the time of great
> debate, the required knowledge is already present, had the soul is all
> pervasive. Can you explain the above objections? Now, do not say that
> nothing such sort had happened from absolute point of view. If the soul is
> all pervasive, then it is so from absolute point of view only. Right? So,
> exit of soul from sri Shankara's body is also correct from absolute point of
> view only. So, one cannot say here that no such action took place, or no
> exit of soul took place, or all is illusion etc. Comment please?

  *Shyam: Your understanding is incorrect here. When a person dies, the soul
doesn't exit. Only the sukshma sarira(the subtle body) and the reflected
consciousness exit the physical body or gross body. In the gross body,
original consciousness is still there, since it is all pervasive. But the
reflected consciousness which is reflected in the mind also exits, since the
mind is located in the subtle body.*

"The purpose of the brahmasutra in question is to stop the sadhaka from