[Advaita-l] samnyAsa X tyAga - help (gItA - chapter 18)

Veena Nair nairvee at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 17:55:44 CDT 2005

I frequently read the English translation of Shankaracharya's Gita Bhashya
(translation by Dr.A.G.Krishna Warrier -Ramkrishna Math, Mylapore). My
understanding is that for ordinary human beings sanyasa and tyaga shd be
viewed as a two-step process. Once tyaga is possible i.e. the renunciation
of the fruits of works, then sanyasa is the next goal and that is the
renunciation of all works. The first step i.e. giving up of attachment to
works leads to performance of all work without attachment; this in turn
purifies the mind and makes one fit to ponder over the Self (which I think
means the Param-atma). But again this distinction between tyaga and sanyasa
is meant only for the non-self--knowers or those who are still very much in
the material world and bound to works e.g., Arjuna. Let me quote from the
text: "...the alternatives stated as between renunication (sanyasa) and
relinquishment (tyaga) in the present context are addressed exclusively to
those directed to perform work. Those wedded to knowledge, the Saamkhyas,
who have realised the Supreme Reality, are called upon to devote themselves
to the discipline of knowledge marked by the total renunciation of all
works, and not to aught else. There are no alternatives before them." (p.
553).
I hope other group members will also respond and throw more light on the
matter. Thanks.
Om Namo Narayanaya.
On 8/5/05, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, mmrit wrote:
>
> > Help-me! I am trying to translate samnyAsa and tyAga into english (from
> > bhagavad gItA, chapter 18, sloka 1 - 12) and this two words seems have
> > the same meaning.
>
> Yes they both basically mean "renunciation"
>
> > What your sugestion? I know that the meaning of this
> > two words is different, tyAga is renunciation of the fruit of action and
> > samnyAsa is the renunciation of action, but how to make clear this
> > difference in english? (only by translation). Or do you think that the
> > best solution is not translate this word, and to explain the meaning of
> > them in a comment?
>
> I think this is a better idea. Your readers will be much more able to
> progress if they learn basic standard terms rather than possibly
> inaccurate English euphemisms.
>
> --

Sarvam ShreeKrishnaayaSamarpayami.
Om Namo Narayanaya...!!