[Advaita-l] Re: Universe finite or infinite?

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:40:23 CDT 2005

On Monday, April 18, 2005, at 10:21  AM, ramesh badisa wrote:

> ... if a part of infinity is also infinity, then, this type of
> understanding is not correct as per the above sruti declaration.

I am not clear how the above conclusion is supported by shruti.

Even if it did, it would be beyond the scope of shruti. Shruti is taken
as pramana where other means of knowledge viz. pratyaksha etc. are not
available. "Whether the universe is finite or infinite?" is a question
that can fall within the subject matter of shruti, since this knowledge
is not available through other pramanas. However, to decide "whether a
part of infinity is infinity or not", is not the legitimate
jurisdiction of shruti. Since this knowledge can be gained by other
pramanas such as deduction etc., shruti cannot be taken as final
arbiter here.

Though it may not seem very intuitive, the part of infinity is indeed
infinity. This knowledge is available as aparA vidyA. Why go to parA
vidyA for this?  Regards.