[Advaita-l] SahasranAma Book

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 10:51:50 CDT 2005

Srirangam Edition (Vani Vilas) was originally publised in 20 volumes; has been re-printed by Samata books - in 10 Volumes.  By the way, the Vani Vilas edition has also been considered by Swami Sachindanendra Saraswathi of Holenarsipur in his edition.  He has also considered Anandasrama Edition, and the Vani Vilas Edition of Varanasi.  He has chosen that 'pata' that which is the best.

The issue is, in that edition, at a few places, he has pointed out Asadhu in Sri rangam edition too.  But i believe for the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, he has relied more on the Vani Vilas Edition.  Unfortunately, we have his Sanskrit Edition only for Isa, Kena, Katha, Munkada, and Thaithreya Upanishads.  the Aithareya complete 6 chapter edition with Shankara Bhashya, i dont know when will it come.  for others, only the vani vilas edition is better, it seems, as of now.

regards,
venkat.

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Ravi Parimi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if this book has commentaries on Bhagavad Gita
> etc.. written in English. I looked up the details of this book on a
> website and it wasn't quite clear if it had commentaries in
> English/Sanskrit or if it is just a compilation of all the works of
> Sri Adi Shankaracharya.

A compilation. In six volumes it has the prasthana trayi bhashyas, other
bhashyas, prakaranas, shrividya works, and stotras. A committee of
learned pandits carefully chose the works that could be considered genuine
works of Shankaracharya.

It has been reprinted many times by Samata books, Chennai.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas
Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org