[Advaita-l] viShNusUri

Ravi Mayavaram ravi at ambaa.org
Wed Apr 6 08:58:51 CDT 2005

Here I am asking about viShNu sUri and his background, you come back and
tell me that "Rudra is nothing more or nothing less than what he is
described as in 11th chapter on gItA". Is it is a plan to derail this
thread to a discussion war?

Kindly tell me, why should I go to gItA, 11th chapter in gItA to learn
about Rudra. Even if I do, I will consider Him same and no different
tnan Lord Krishna.  But I would rather understand rudra directly as he
is described in Rudram and using verses on him texts like mahAnArAyaNa.
  Besides ask yourself and your vaiShNava friends whether they will
consider viShNu/nArAyaNa as nothing more than son of aditI (as some hare
krishna-s do) based on the same chapter.

To be fair to viShNu sUri, you should consider him along with sAyana,
bhaTTa bhAskara, abhinava Sankara and other commentators. It is unfair
to bring gItA to put down rudra. sAyana interprets rudram from karma
point of view, bhaTTa bhAskara from upAsana and abhinava Sankara argues
quoting the big three (shruti, smRti, purANa) that it is an upaniShad
and it teaches jnAna. But it is viShNu sUri, who explains how from an
adhyAtmika view point.[from Swami Atmananda's introduction]. And I find
it perfectly valid to spend effort and explain rudram like that. The
question is whether rudram is merely for karma or it teaches jnAna also.
The question is not whether Rudra is supreme or not. He is nothing but
the supreme. And it is perfectly valid based on shruti to consider Rudra
as the supreme brahman and meditate on him on that way.

I regret sending you a nasty personal e-mail on Monday. I should have
waited a day or two and then reacted.

Ravi