[Advaita-l] Meaning of Abhijna

Aarathi Sankaran aarathi at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 11:32:53 CDT 2004

Raghavendra .H wrote:
> Also please help me with finding the meaning / interpretation and
> significance (if any) of the word - "ABHIJNA"
>
> thanks & regards,
> Raghavendra

The meaning given in Cologne Digital Sanksrit Lexicon is as follows.

abhi-jJA
Meaning		%{-jAnAti} , %{-nIte} , to recognize , perceive , know , be or
become aware of ; to acknowledge , agree to , own ; to remember (either
with the future or past)

abhi-jJa
Meaning		mf(%{A})n. knowing , skilful , clever ; understanding ,
conversant with (gen. or ifc.) ; (%{A}) f. remembrance , recollection;
supernatural science or faculty of a Buddha (of which five are
enumerated , viz. 1. taking any form at will ; 2. hearing to any
distance ; 3. seeing to any distance ; 4. penetrating men's thoughts ;
5. knowing their state and antecedents).

Aarathi