[Advaita-l] RE: namo namah: and some questions (Sanskrit Beginner)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:19:09 CDT 2004

>  satsangs I find are more into devotional singing than
>intellctual discussions/discourses on real issues; turns out
>to be too much of an emotional thing, and am not able to vibe
>with it.

That is the satsang that is ubiquitous nowadays. Often, it
turns into dramatic presentations by the local leader and
gets marred by factional politics and personality issues.
However, satsanga merely means associating (sanga)
with good (sat). It is defined not by the number of people
who get together to sing, but by the quality of even one
person. The idea is that by observing the behaviour of
some superior people, we also try to emulate them and
thereby learn to control our minds.

Vidyasankar