[Advaita-l] Guidance of a guru

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 23:59:55 CST 2004

This echos what i heard sometime before :-

A one who is only a Shrothriya (and not a Brahma Nishta) is a good teacher but not a good Human.

A mere Brahma Nishta is a good Human but a bad teacher.

As what we need is learning, the formet is better.

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Sanjay Srivastava wrote:

> Though both the qualities viz. being a shrotriyam and brahma-nishtham are
> essential, yet if one must make a compromise, one should go to a teacher who
> is just shrotriyam than to one who is just brahma-nishtham. It is because if
> a teacher is well versed in the method of vedas, even though he may not be a
> realized person, at least his words will not confuse you. On the other hand
> if a teacher is realized but does not know the systemmatic method of
> vedanta, his words are more likely to confuse you and may even lead to a
> wrong path. Such a person can be a mystic, not a teacher. Teaching can be
> transferred to another person but there is no method by which to transfer
> mysticism.

Thankyou Sanjay for saying exactly what I wanted to say.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas
Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org